Old 21-06-2008, 02:32 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
chip chip is offline

Default Ideal veggie filter size

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Kathy is surely right! Easy cleaning makes happy ponders!

Out veggie filters have drains in the bottom. Open and flush! Our
initial 4 x 4 veggie filter becomes so full the muck is like jelly.
But that is just what we want!

Here is a link to our pond album. It shows the cleaning.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jimandph...lisAndJimSPond

Our pondsite is more of a tour.

home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/pwp-jameshurley

Jim

Thanks all you guys, great advice! Actually going to build a 12' dia
plank island just over the water, so that I can get that much shade on
the pond.

Would anybody like to comment on flowing water in the veggie filter from
the bottom and taking it back to the pond from the top or vice-versa or
doesn't it matter? Does the water direction effect ease of cleaning? I
would like to get the plumbing and maintenance piping right the 1st
time. Allow it to work for me rather than against me. I have lots of
room to allow the waste to flow onto the ground and maybe new garden.

Chip