Old 21-06-2008, 11:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Lumber for raised beds

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

SteveB wrote:
I want to make some raised beds for gardening. I'm going to use pipe
supports, which I have a lot of. I want to make 4' x 12' x 12" deep or
so beds. What would be a good lumber for this? I want something that is
going to last for a while, although I know nothing lasts forever.

Steve

I made some raised garden beds with green-treated lumber a few years ago
(the new green stuff, not the good old arsenic kind.) I had read that you
have to use hot-dipped galvanized nails, or the salts in the wood would
rust the nails completely in two in a short time. I used 16d bright
common nails, not galvanized at all. I knocked one of the beds apart this
spring, and the nails were rusty but still strong and holding. Maybe the
problem is just with flash-galvanized nails?

If you want a wood that's just naturally decay resistant, cypress is about
the best there is -- assuming you can find cypress lumber.

Bob

Galvanized or stainless requirement is for homebuilding. IE: generally in
the framing portion where treated lumber is used. One example that comes to
mind is the sole plate that is usually treated lumber. Over a period of
many years, a hand driven concrete nail may rust through. The bottom of the
framing is loose in the wind as a result so to speak. Stainless "shot"
nails, and ceramic screws don't have this problem. This is typically used.
Oddly, its common to see the nails holding the studs to the sole plate are
the same old ones. Another method used to hold the sole plate is dropping
all-thread into the concrete when its smoothed out at time of pour.
Typically, was 3/8" diameter, now, requirement is 1/2" diameter with newer
treated lumber. A hole is drilled into the sole plate to accomodate the
all-thread, nut and washer secure.
--
Dave