Old 21-06-2008, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default Cactus plants

Sacha wrote:

*Please* tell me how to look after my Christmas cactus! I do water
it from time to time and at present, it's putting on healthy looking
shoots at the tips. But the flowering performance is abysmal round
about Christmas time!

Very simple.

Stop watering now. Start watering mid-September (they will have started
drooping quite a bit by then, but will soon plump up when the watering
starts). Give weak fertiliser Oct-Nov-Dec. Light window - south or west
facing. Do not allow to get too cold (eg behind a curtain) - remember that
they are epiphytes from tropical forests.

NEVER move or turn them once the flower buds start forming. They will start
to drop the buds if you do.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)