Old 21-06-2008, 08:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default How to stop marginals nose diving into the deeper water

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 19:27:59 EDT, kathy wrote:

I think jan bungie corded one of her plants to something
once...
k :-)

That's me, the bungee queen. And I'm not talking jumping off a bridge.

Currently wind isn't a problem, but when my plants get big enough and I
know a very big wind is going to hit I lay some of them over against the
side of the pond. Same direction the wind would blow them, but sometimes
not exactly where I'd like them to land.

On the other side of the pond, where they might head to the inside and
deeper water, I've started using plants like taros that are less likely to
catch the wind in that area. I do have one plant there that is attached to
the side by 2 bungee cords. Then I have a really big hibiscus that is not
only attached by bungee's but come fall when it can be 8' high I will put
in a large green stake next to the pond and attach something off it to the
main stem.

Oh.... and I use mostly those black mesh baskets so I have a good wide
bottom, and rocks. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us