Old 21-06-2008, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default First post - complete beginner

On 21/6/08 14:00, in article ,
"Steve Turner" wrote:

I hope someone can help me here.

I've inherited a couple of Eucalyptus trees from my sister (in the process
of turning an overgrown mess into a garden). They were both pot bound - been
in pots for something like 6 years.

The smaller one, only about 4 foot high, seems to be dying - lots of yellow
and brown leaves after only 11 days in the ground. It had some yellow leaves
on it when it was planted, but seems to have accelerated.

The taller, 6 foot one, seems to be faring better but also has some yellow
leaves.

Soil is well drained and I've been watering them at least every other day,
only missing doing it if the area still looks damp from the previous day.
Can they be over watered?

Eucalyptus are trees that are particularly difficult to get going after
they've been potbound. Normally, they have quite robust root systems and it
is possible that yours just won't make it or that a high wind will topple
them. All you can do is wait and see. If nature is watering them for you,
leave them alone and only water in drier spells. In your situation, I think
I'd take the top foot out of them and give the roots less work to do. It
might be kill or cure, though, and I've never had to do it, so please don't
blame me!

I've read that Eucalyptus do shed leaves in summer but this seems too early.

It can be a sign of stress, too.

BTW and just for future reference to help you, it helps urglers to help you
if you tell us where you live and what kind of soil you have. If you don't
know the latter, looking to see what your neighbours or local parks grow
will help you.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ilkesto...days%20ago.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ilkesto...0yellowing.JPG
(taken from 72 feet away as it's raining here)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com