Old 21-06-2008, 06:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
John - Pa. John - Pa. is offline

Default Solstice-Day 1 - 20083903.jpg

Well, I really only "celebrated" the summer solstice once, years ago
in college. I slathered up with sun screen and went out into an open
field on a cloudless June 21st. I took books and drinks and food and
spent the entire day contemplating the glory of the sun and the
abundance and magnificence of what it makes possible.

As an older and wiser person might have predicted, after about 8-hours
in the strongest sun of the year, and even without actual sunburn, I
got a severe case of heat prostration. As they say, first I was afraid
that I was going to die, and then it got worse and I was afraid that I
wouldn't (though I suppose that I really could have). To this day that
is the sickest I have ever been from any cause, ever. Ah, the follys
of youth.

In my latter years I try to just take the best advantage of the early
mornings and late evenings and morn for the slow inevitable advance of
the long winter night.

JD

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:05:14 -0400, "3Putt in Coastal SC"
wrote:
Really nice photos John. But how does one go about celebrating the
solstice?
It's been so hot down here already that I seem to have forgotten it.
(Except for
the huge influx of tourists).