Old 21-06-2008, 03:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Ideal veggie filter size

with our winters the water celery dies off. in spring it takes time to get the roots
to the bottom of the filter in order to effectively slow down the flow and filter
particulates. also, I put pots of colorful flowers in my filter and holding them up
so only the very bottom is in the water gets more difficult the deeper the filter.
the deeper the water, the more robust the lengths of the veggie filter have to be to
keep from bowing out.
Ingrid

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 21:33:03 EDT, Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Ingrid,

I am interested that you prefer 10-12" for the veggie filter. What
guides your choice of depth?

We went with two 8" boards for depth. They seem to be working fine.
Our water celery and hyacinth send roots down essentially all 18" of
our veggie filter depth. I think that increases the filtering and the
catching of muck. They would fill faster at 10-12".

Jim