Old 21-06-2008, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] merlinsbest1@comcast.net is offline

Default Kill My Palmettos!!! PUH-LEASE!!!!

On 20 Jun, 17:02, infiniteMPG wrote:
We have an acre lot in west central Florida and palmettos are the norm
just about everywhere. *I have dug up some 'infestations' and they
never come back but you have to dig them out completely. *A few places
in our lot the palmettos have sprung up at the base of nice southern
pine trees. *We have a weed whacker with a brush attachment blade and
we can hack 'em down to the ground which we do... several times a
month. *What we were wondering is if there is anything we can do to
exterminate the palmettos without harming the pine trees? *We were
half way tempted to cut them down and then pour weed/brush killer in
the cut trunks/stems, trying to be careful not to spill it all in the
ground at the pine tree roots.

Anyone got any suggestions short of napalm or bulldozers????

Thanks!

Yes, take a pair of vice grips, clasp the very center new leaf coming
from the truck with them. pull straight out. You are injuring the
heart. Injure the heart of a palm, it dies.