Old 22-06-2008, 07:27 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Avocado question

Anne Chambers writes:
Seaman Staines wrote:
http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1939805.htm
A lot of people wonder about the right time to harvest an avocado. Wait
until the first one falls to the ground, and put that in the cupboard, keep
it for about a fortnight to ripen and it'll be ready to eat. And at that
stage you know that you can harvest them from the tree. When the little
button at the top starts to change colour and goes a bit lighter, just snip
it off, put it in a brown paper bag, put it in the pantry for about a week
to a fortnight and it will get soft and it will be magnificent.

Many thanks, that's just what I wanted. Now to go out and *will* the
first one to fall !

Around here the possoms judge when the avos are ready for picking. They
throw them down overnight with a large chunk missing from one side. :-}

With any such windfalls I find, I follow the above paper bag method, only
cutting off the eaten side after the avo has softened.

It works for me!