Old 22-06-2008, 03:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R Bill R is offline

Default Slugs-nothing works, please help!!!!

Kevin Cherkauer wrote:
I have found the iron phosphate slug pellets work great. Iron phosphate
occurs naturally in soil and is basically a plant nutrient, so these are
considered non-toxic and can be used in vegetable gardens, around pets, etc.

My family tried the beer trick when I was growing up -- IMO it's a complete
myth. We might have drowned a grand total of one slug that way, out of the
about five billion of them swarming over our garden.

Utopia in Decay
http://home.comcast.net/~kevin.cherkauer/site/

Kevin Cherkauer

I have used the beer "trick" and have had great success with it. The
"trick" is to use stale beer, you have to let it "age" before the slugs
will be attracted to it. They other "trick" is to use shallow
containers, ones that the slugs don't have to do a lot of climbing to
get to. Also, placement is important. Place the containers in
"sheltered" areas. I found shady areas to be better than sunny areas.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL