Old 23-06-2008, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Watercress

"Adrian" wrote in message
HI Pam

Pam Moore wrote:
Is it possible to grow watercress without running water? Has anyone
tried, and if so how can it be done? Pieces of bought watercress will
root in water, but is there a way of growing them on? I often end up
wasting the last of a packet.

If you like the taste of cress but don't have a convenient source of
water - then try 'Land cress' (seeds from Thompson & Morgan, and probably
other suppliers).

I'm not sure what it is botanically...

Barbarea Verna, also known as American Land Cress, and, as you suggest, it
is available from more seed suppliers than T & M.

but it looks like watercress
(leaves a little smaller), tastes the same, and likes moist soil, rather
than to be sat in water.
We have some in the polytunnel - and it overwinters nicely..

Grows roots along its stems, like cress, so taking cuttings is easy..

I started growing this in my garden in 1977, and in my experience it is very
easy to grow as long as it is given plenty of water. It can be used in
exactly the same way as watercress, but is far more 'peppery' in flavour, in
fact, too strong for some tastes.

Returning to the original question, watercress 'offcuts' have survived over
the summer season in my fishpond, but I wouldn't like to eat it ...