Old 23-06-2008, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Leaf curl.

In article , "jamps" writes:
| I have two Ogden Melon plants in my greenhouse and one of these plants has
| what appears to be leaf curl on both the older leaves and the young emerging
| leaves.
|
| Looking closely at these leaves I find lots of minute black deposits on the
| underside - smaller than black fly and not moving.
|
| Can anyone suggest what this might be and how to eradicate?

Quite possibly red spider mite. I spray with soft soap (Savona),
which is effective against pretty well every insect/mite except
scale, but melons may be one of the plants that doesn't like it.

The alternative is washing-up liquid solution with a dash of
methylated spirits, but the same plants that don't like soft soap
won't like that, either.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.