Old 23-06-2008, 02:47 PM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default oranges & when ripe

cruzing writes:
On Jun 14, 2:49*pm, "Sandra Bodycoat"
wrote:
14th June 08
Hi to all

I know this sounds a logical question, I have a orange tree that is laden
with fruit & my husband keeps picking the odd orange as they appear ready
but there not how will we know?
Thanks
Sandra

Hi Sandra,
My Mother in Law always said that citrus should not be picked untill
after the 1st frost. and the fruit was always sweet.

Laden with fruit? Maybe Sandra has a Seville orange? Quite inedible even
though they appear to be a perfectly coloured orange! Gather the jam
jars ready for making marmalade in that case!

Otherwise, like the others suggested, pick one every 2 or 3 weeks and
see what it's like.