Old 24-06-2008, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Identify these weeds

In article ,
enigma wrote:

Johnny wrote in

ups.com:

So, those are grapes? Excellent! Can we eat them?

of course, but i can't guarantee they'll be very good.
depending on where you are, they would be different varieties.
for example, i'm in New England, so wild grapes here are
generally Concords, good for jelly. in NY they might be
Concords or they might be fox grapes, which are tiny & sour (i
like them better than Concords). down South, you get wild
Muscat grapes.

Check that. Muscadine grapes, sorry, muscat, with their honeysuckle
flavor, are a vitis venifera.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitis_rotundifolia

If I let the sapling go, it will grow into a tree?

the tulip tree? yes, they are really a very pretty tree. i
wish i had at least one. however, they can get really large,
over 200', so make sure it has some room.

Those are some type of berries. We picked them and ate them
last year. My neighbor said they were raspberries. However,
I went out again and noticed another plant that has
different leaves but what looks like raspberries already in
bloom (right term?) - see the updated web page. So now I'm
not sure what we have. Lastly, I found another "plant" -
guess I can't tell a weed from a plant - that I posted some
pics of for ID.

ok, the first berries *are* a wild type of raspberry. they
have pink flowers, don't they? i did have a couple of them but
we cut down a willow & i think it got too boggy for them.
they're gone now anyway. they're as good as domestic
raspberries & mine had berries rather late in the season,
after the domestic ones were finished.
berry B is a trailing variety of blackberry, i think. is it
growing on those canes or on the vines? i can't tell from the
photo. either way, they're pretty good if you can get them
before the birds do.
your weed D looks like what we call 'dewberries', another
type of trailing blackberry. they're mostly annoying since
they rarely have berries & the vines trip you.

if you're lucky you'll find some black raspberries along your
wooded area as well.

I was mostly interested in ID'ing these plants to know what
to eliminate. But I guess I should keep them all. Would it
be beneficial to keep all these plants? The "fruit" plants
all seem to be growing on the part of my property that gets
the most sun - the rest is heavily forested - so I don't
think they will be invasive.

i keep a good stand of goldenrod. it's *not* a cause of
hayfever (it's pollen is too heavy), but since it blooms at
the same time as ragweed, which doesn't have showy flowers, it
gets blamed. goldenrod is an important butterfly plant.

lee

--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars