Old 24-06-2008, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steve Turner[_2_] Steve Turner[_2_] is offline

Default First post - complete beginner

echinosum wrote:

: 'Steve Turner[_2_ Wrote:
:: ;799682']I hope someone can help me here.
::
:: I've inherited a couple of Eucalyptus trees from my sister (in the
:: process of turning an overgrown mess into a garden). They were both pot
:: bound - been in pots for something like 6 years.
::
:: The smaller one, only about 4 foot high, seems to be dying -
[snip]

: Did you untangle their roots a bit before planting them?

I'm afraid not and I although I'd found the link Sacha gives in her second
reply to me this was after they had been planted. I'm very new to gardening,
having to ask my brother and sister-in-law all the time how much to water,
when to cut back etc, and they just brought the plants over and stuck them
in the ground.

I expect it's a bad idea to dig them up again to spread the roots. The
larger one was in a bigger pot (18" ?) and is doing ok in not brilliant.

My sister has two more still in pots and they have red leaves on them. She
says it happens every year but they still keep growing (slowly). I'll make
sure that she spreads the roots when she takes them out.

Thanks for the replies.

--
Steve