Old 24-06-2008, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default Help! Hemlock Wooley Adelgid

On Jun 20, 2:27*pm, ctlady wrote:
I was told that the telltale sign of the wooley adelgid were masses of
a "cottony" material in the branches. *I have discovered some areas of
spittle. *Is the spittle from a different bug or can that be the
wooley adelgid?

CW from Harwinton, CT

Spittle is different from the cottony stuff the wooly adelgid makes,
poke your finger into the spittle and look for a little green insect
about as big this (ooo).It can transmit disease but is no real worry.
The spittle keeps the birds and spiders from finding it.