Old 25-06-2008, 05:32 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default solving asparagus asparagus cages

I am returning to my old method of fencing the row of asparagus. And
for individual patches
I am modifying heavy duty tomato cages, where I cut the rings and then
fit the stalks inside
and then wrap a fence around the cage. I should have done this earlier
when I let them go to
seed before they branched out so that the cage did not need to be cut
and when the ground
was wet and softer.

I kind of suspect that Nature designed asparagus to lean over and fall
to the ground to
cast the seed further away.

Now on two patches I am experimenting with bind-weed or some call it
morning glory,
or creeping-jenny weed. Trouble with it though, the asparagus is too
much shaded.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium