Old 25-06-2008, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Amethyst Deceiver Amethyst Deceiver is offline

Default Strange things on a beach id

In article ,
says...
writes
On Jun 25, 5:39*am, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:35:49 +0100, Charlie Pridham

wrote:
I have been sent this picture for our local HPS newsletter as a couple of
members just back from Spain found the beaches covered with millions of
these strange objects which were hollow and empty. they seem to be made
up of plant material, any one any idea what they may be?
www.roselandhouse.co.uk/hps/thingys.jpg

I've seen similar things on the seabed in Greece. I thought it was
donkey crap.
--

Are there enough donkeys

It's an aquatic plant, Posidonia oceanica. Looks like underwater grass.
The dead leaves are torn off by the surf and rolled into balls.

Kewl - we saw the same things, also in Spain, and had been wondering!