Old 25-06-2008, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

Default Watercress

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"K" wrote in message

Watercress is a useful way of decreasing the nitrogen level (and hence
blanket weed) in garden ponds - chuck a handful in, wait for it to grow
massivley, then heave most of it out and compost it. Repeat.
--
Kay

Our pond water is very clear despite being full of dead vegetation (we
really must get round to cleaning it out ... ) but the water is clear as
clear, presumably because it's covered in duckweed.

Every day I pull out four large handfuls and line them up for the hens,
who love the weed and the things in it. Of course they all three go to one
of the heaps!

Just wondered - is duckweed edible for humans?

Yes, it is, according to

http://www.herbvideos.com/ewpindex.htm

which includes a soup recipe.