Old 26-06-2008, 07:39 AM posted to sci.bio.botany
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default Some experiments on potting soil; preliminary results

I am conducting some experiments on potting soil for I have decided to
place all strawberries
and chives and onions in large pots so that I can control the weeds.
So far it is working out
great as the strawberry harvest is the most abundant ever.

I am using regular soil as one test. I am using soil from forest
woodland as another test.
And I am trying out a 1/2 horsemanure to topsoil mix with the bottom
1/10 of the pot
in solid horse manure. Why that? Because I find that regular soil in
the entire pot becomes
to heavy clay and does not drain properly. So the bottom of the pot in
solid horse manure,
as soon as I go to watering, that the excess immediately flows out the
bottom.

I have no news to report on the woodland topsoil versus the
nonwoodland topsoil.

But I do have news on the 1/2 horse manure 1/2 regular topsoil mix.
The tomatoes, potatoes
and strawberries have vigorous growth. The lettuce and spinach prefer
the pure 100% topsoil
as the horsemanure 1/2 mix was not suitable for them.

My biggest challenge is larch or tamarack in pots, to get their acid
soil just right for them.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium