Old 26-06-2008, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eddy Eddy is offline

Default evergreen climbers for greenhouse

Charlie Pridham wrote:
It may be a bit cold for the pandorea (My fil used to live on the
Brown Clee hills) and there is an all white flowered form (lady Di I
think) and the straight species is white flowered with a pink eye.
If you want yellow flowers try looking at macfadyena unguis-cati or
Hibbertia scandens, both will take a few degrees of frost as will
Pandorea pandorana Golden Showers

Thanks, Charlie. The Clee hills are about an hour east of here but I
think they have much the same kind of climate, certainly along the tops.

I like the Macfadyena unguis-cati and Hibbertia scandens! Either look
good. I'll do a bit of research into which is more tolerant of frost.

When we moved in last year we put a bougainvillea, hibiscus, and
stephanotis, kiwi-fruit, and callestemon in the greenhouse and only the
kiwi-fruit and the callestemon have survived last winter and done well
this spring. The callestemon has already bloomed beautifully, and may
do so again before autumn.

Interesting, isn't it, that the only plants which survived the cold of
last winter and the occasional heat of days in recent weeks have been
the two antipodeans . . . and all of your five recommendations for a
better survival rate next winter are antipodeans too (Australians, in
fact)! I find this a little odd, because having lived for some years in
Australia I know that most of the eastern coast seldom suffers from
frost.

Eddy.