Old 26-06-2008, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael michael is offline

Default Favourite peas

I grow quite a lot of peas,and try to select those which have a very
good flavour as well as giving a reasonable crop.This is my experience
over the last few years and would welcome comment.The heights I quote
are pretty approximate and depend on soil condition.

Kelvedon Wonder 18" -good early pea which crops well and has a
reasonable sweet flavour.
Meteor 18"-poor cropper and mediocre taste.In my view not worth
growing to get peas a few days earlier than others.
Douce Provence 18" -new to me this year and pretty good flavour and
reasonable cropper.
Little Marvel 18" -my second year with this,and pretty impressive
cropper with very good flavour.
Progress No. 9 24" -one of my favourite peas with an excellent waxy
flavour and good cropper.
Rondo 30" -strong grower,excellent cropper and good flavour.
Onward 30" -one of my favourite peas with excellent waxy flavour and
reasonable cropper.
Lincoln 30" -good cropper and flavour.
Champion of England 7' -tall heritage pea with enormous crop and
first class flavour.Needs picking regularly.
Ne Plus Ultra 7' -another heritage pea with enormous crop and first
class flavour.
Magnum Bonum 6' -probably my favourite tall pea with very good
cropping and excellent waxy flavour.

Most peas are widely available,although the last three need some
searching.The trouble with tall peas is that they need substantial
supports to carry the heavy crop,but they are a pleasure to pick
without all of the stooping.

I would welcome comments on other peas which are your favourites.

Regards,Michael