Old 26-06-2008, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Luton[_2_] Paul Luton[_2_] is offline

Default Hand powered mower for rough lawn?

Philippe Gautier wrote:
Abertech wrote:
Hi,

I've moved to a place with a lawn of about 20 x 15 feet and another
smaller lawn elsewhere. I think thats too much for my cordless
strimmer to cope with so I'm looking at getting a lawnmower.

I was thinking of picking up a cheap hand powered cylinder mower from
Argos. The lawn is flat but far from immaculate, having a couple of
weeds, bumps and occassional twigs etc in amongst the grass. Would a
hand powered mower be ok for this or are they meant for immaculately
kept lawns?

TIA.

I've used a hand power mower for years on my small lawn (and actually
just replace my old one with the Argos one you're talking about). It
does not cope terribly well with bumps (but I guess it depends what you
call bumps!) or high grass height, especially if it's wet. I don't see
why weeds would be a problem and twigs are a no-no (they get stuck
between the blades). So, maybe if you get rid of twigs and the bumps you
are talking about are not too big and you mow your lawn regularly....

Philippe

Agree that hand mowers don't like wet grass but twigs - just reverse,
remove twig, carry on. Weeds no problem

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames