Old 27-06-2008, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default Rhubarb question

"Zootal" wrote in
:

I found some rhubarb off in the corner of my property that
had put up seedstalks. I cut them off, but by the time I
got to them, they were mostly dead. Three of the plants
consist of dead stalk and dead leaves, and the other two
are mostly dead and have one or two leaves that are green.
I cut off the dead growth and am watering them, but there
is no sign of new growth. Anyone here with rhubarb
experience care to comment on the likelyhood of the plants
surviving and growing back?

they'll be fine... next year. it's perfectly normal & usual
for rhubarb to die back once it's flowered, or once it gets
hot (warm days, cool nights keep it going longer, but even so
it never lasts past July).
mark the spot where they are & start looking for new growth
in late March or so. mine was growing under the snow this
spring.

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair