Old 24-06-2008, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mike Mike is offline

Default Lumber for raised beds

In article , "SteveB"
wrote:

I want to make some raised beds for gardening. I'm going to use pipe
supports, which I have a lot of. I want to make 4' x 12' x 12" deep or so
beds. What would be a good lumber for this? I want something that is going
to last for a while, although I know nothing lasts forever.

Steve

I made mine out of used roofing galvanized iron supported by a treated
wood frame held together with stainless steel screws. Expensive, but the
iron was free and I have yet to see any proof that there is signifigant
leaching from the wood. These beds are about 18" deep so I could plant
citrus and asparagus in them. The supports are buried in the ground and
the sides are wired together on top to keep them from spreading, as they
are 2 yards wide. You can sit on the edges and work without squatting, a
consideration for us older folk.

Mike