Old 27-06-2008, 08:22 AM posted to rec.ponds
Rodney Pont[_2_] Rodney Pont[_2_] is offline

Default Can anyone help on Cryptosporidium in water

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 00:31:31 -0500, Reel McKoi wrote:

Fish are affected by it although it might not be the same strain. A
reverse osmosis unit will produce water free from it and a lot cheaper
than boiling but you won't get a lot of water a day. I saw one recently
(Practical Fishkeeper I think) that cost o100 and did 100 gallons a
day.

http://www.ro-man.com/shop/index.php?cPath=91 have them.

=======================
Isn't the water demineralized by that process. That would make it useless
for fish unless minerals were re-added.

Not useless, I admit not ideal and hopefully not for long but it would
be better than cryptosporidium. They have dangerously high levels of it
in the water supply in Northampton and it could take weeks for it to
get back to normal. Last I heard the water company hadn't even managed
to trace the source of it and once they do they have to deal with it
and then flush all of the pipes. The pond water will pick up minerals
from the atmosphere anyway so I don't think it will be a problem.

Admittedly a couple of lumps of limestone in wouldn't harm :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont