Old 27-06-2008, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default evergreen climbers for greenhouse

On 27/6/08 09:16, in article ,
"Jeff Layman" wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

It may be a bit cold for the pandorea (My fil used to live on the
Brown Clee hills) and there is an all white flowered form (lady Di I
think) and the straight species is white flowered with a pink eye.
If you want yellow flowers try looking at macfadyena unguis-cati or
Hibbertia scandens, both will take a few degrees of frost as will
Pandorea pandorana Golden Showers

I've had Macfadyena unguis-cati growing in a greenhouse for years (it also
grows happily outside on a south wall). But it has never flowered, despite
being a rampant grower; references often state that it needs a hotter summer
than our climate provides to flower successfully. Maybe your experience is
different.

I would strongly recommend Hardenbergia violacea. Ours grows in an unheated
greenhouse which is kept just above freezing. It rewards us by flowering
wonderfully and if it's in a really sheltered spot, it can be grown
outdoors.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com