Old 27-06-2008, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default evergreen climbers for greenhouse

In article ,
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:

It may be a bit cold for the pandorea (My fil used to live on the
Brown Clee hills) and there is an all white flowered form (lady Di I
think) and the straight species is white flowered with a pink eye.
If you want yellow flowers try looking at macfadyena unguis-cati or
Hibbertia scandens, both will take a few degrees of frost as will
Pandorea pandorana Golden Showers

I've had Macfadyena unguis-cati growing in a greenhouse for years (it also
grows happily outside on a south wall). But it has never flowered, despite
being a rampant grower; references often state that it needs a hotter summer
than our climate provides to flower successfully. Maybe your experience is
different.

It was certainly slow to start (17 years!) but I grew it from seed, it is
hardy enough to go through the winter outside but unless the top growth
survives and it stays evergreen it certainly wont flower and yes it does
seem to need some heat, having said that mine flowered better this year
than last (may time) and spring this year was a lot colder/slower than
last year.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk