Old 27-06-2008, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Trees and common problems

Just to make it a bit clearer, I live southwest of Austin, TX in hill
country proper. The predominant, native tree here that grows naturally is
the live oak.

Weather conditions for the past 3 years has been one year of severe drought,
one year of more than ample rain rivaling rain normally seen in much wetter
areas of the country, this year in extreme drought with almost a month of
100F temps so far. Unusual for even this part of the country that early in
the year. The TV weatherman, says on a regular basis, the culprit is
"blocking high" preventing the normal influx of Gulf moisture from intruding
and creating the typical cloudcover, and potential for rain. The cloudcover
allows slightly less temps, and moisture from the Gulf does similar and
slowsdown dryout of native surface vegetation. East Texas isn't suffering
though as the high has been primarily too far west.

Similarly, I may call the live oak an "evergreen" myself as it only lacks
leaves for a week or 2 in early spring. Guess I could call it an almost
always evergreen. I know its not a genuine evergreen in the strictest sense
as I'm sure my neighbor does as well.

All my live oaks are native, no home growns/transplants from pots.

Clarifying what I was asking originally, will there be any apparent, visible
signs of drought stress on these live oaks? Insects and fungi aren't a
problem now due to lack of water. I'm concerned about my only water source,
a water well. So, I've stopped watering the lawn. Typically, a summer in
this region is totally lacking in any appreciable rain, if any. So, thus my
question.

--
Dave
"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

"Jangchub" wrote in message

I don't need you to dissect trees in my yard to tell me how much water
is required.

Why are you fighting against dissecting and understanding trees. Knowing
and seeing where when and how water is loaded is done by dissections. I
guess you never have and never will dissect and understand trees. Have
fun. First I would not come to your house and do anything for you. I was
not talking to you , I do not like you due to your words and some how you
think I am trying to win you. No way Jose,.

You say the trees go dormant. Please explain. When the top is resting
the bottom is ofetn working hard. We proved that in the Northeast. Root
hairs were active under ice and frozen soil. So when you say dorment what
do you mean? What part, what does dorment mean, your words? The best
tree biologist in the world are having trouble defining it this year.
What we thought was a system shutdown is far from the truth.

Texas has ten very distinctive regions, all different,
and each corridor has it's own species, and each side of each of those
have species which only live either within, or to one or both sides of
the regional line. I studied rangeland ecology.

I dissected live oak trees. So I see some unique feartures. The theme is
the same. maybe you could explain some anatomy differences between your
so called trees and what grow in other places in the world. Texas is
still using wound dressing - by law, making flush cuts and blaming decline
of improperly planted, prune and fertilized trees on some insect, bug or
whatever except - hey , I screwed the tree up. Of course we all see Texas
finest quality in George Bush. Ya know, people are different in Texas.

Live oaks are semi-evergreen trees which can be 500 years old with
only a two foot diameter because of either years or decades of
drought.

Please define evergreen.

They go dormant mid-season unless there is ample water.

What goes dorment , what exzactly do they do to be dormant?

In
this region of TX the Live Oaks need to have fully saturated root
balls before planted or their ability to withstand hot winds all
summer with ample water has a lower success rate. If the root ball
is not saturated before planted there is no way to ever get to the
inner portion of that ball no matter how much water you apply. So,
you are not the only person who knows a newly planted anything cannot
do without supplemental watering...thank you very much.

The single largest problem with trees is that they are planted too
deeply. I know that, so does any arborist, or avid gardener. No
dissection necessary.

I aggree and say that the number one problem worldwide is improper
planting. Then improper mulching, fertilizing and yes pruning. So why are
you not happy that I offer some suggestions on the latter?
No, but a dissection would show in court that the flare at the base of the
tree is not a root flare it is a trunk flare and should not be barried
when planted.

My Live Oak trees require one inch of water per two week period to
remain health and supple. After their spring shed and push the only
thing which grows, in general and based on waterfall are branches, and
some leaves. Mostly (during drought) the leaf will remain in a bud
until either water is applied; rain or otherwise, or it will remain in
bud until spring shed after catkins fall.

I don't recall asking about my trees, nor did I elicit help with them
and no I won't send a branch. What for? My trees are healthy, so
far.

What do you call a healthy trees? My Christmas tree was doing great in my
basement in januray. It was doing great. We watered it and all. BUT IT
HAD BIG PROBLEMS. From someone that does not dissect trees please explain
what you mean when you say healthy tree. What features do you use to
define a healthy tree?

The single most dangerous problem in this region is Oak Wilt. As
far as I know, there is no Oak Wilt in this area within at least 10
miles.

TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap. Staples Forestry, the
salvage hog!
[...]

That said, we prune only at times of the year when the insect
vector can carry the disease from distances.

TEXAS FLUSH CUTS AND WOUND DRESSING. And tree wrap.

If pruning is necessary
to prevent falling on the house in high winds, it is recommended by
the TX Dept of Parks and Wildlife, along with TX A&M to use pruning
paint and spray tools with Lysol between each cut not just tree to
tree.

LOL NOT LYSOL silly person. 10% household beach. Man, where did you get
your education on trees? Don Staples. Or are you Don Staples?
Wound dressing does not stop rot. You fool. If you cannot stop rot how
can you stop oak wilt? Silly silly person. maybe if you stoped acting
like an expert from texas with Bush, maybe people who dissect trees can
offer suggestions. many many many people have dissected trees, minus you
Don Staples.

The other way it is spread is via the fungal mat and in that
case they've had some success preventing Oak Wilt by trenching outside
the rhizosphere.

Look, I appreciate it, but you are not the only one on the planet who
knows something about horticulture, arboriculture or forestry. I find
you gallantly irritating because I can't figure out what your agenda
is with constant shilling. It's moderately annoying. If I need your
help, I will ask.

Don't ask me for help. Please go to Don Staples, Don Staples. I am
growuing a forest and you, Don Staples are not allowed near it. Pathogens
will be controlled.

Again, all you have to do is look and you will see when water is loaded.
Not just listen to somebody like you who claims to be an tree expert yet
has no understanding of tree biology. That's
annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I repeat for those interested in helping trees!

Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20..._planting.html

Improper Mulching -
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/mulch.html

Improper Pruning and Wound Dressing (Unless you live in Texas then flush
cuts and wound dressings are ok)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Consulting Tree Biologist
www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books
that will give them understanding.