Old 27-06-2008, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff Layman Jeff Layman is offline

Default evergreen climbers for greenhouse

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
Charlie Pridham wrote:

It may be a bit cold for the pandorea (My fil used to live on the
Brown Clee hills) and there is an all white flowered form (lady Di I
think) and the straight species is white flowered with a pink eye.
If you want yellow flowers try looking at macfadyena unguis-cati or
Hibbertia scandens, both will take a few degrees of frost as will
Pandorea pandorana Golden Showers

I've had Macfadyena unguis-cati growing in a greenhouse for years
(it also grows happily outside on a south wall). But it has never
flowered, despite being a rampant grower; references often state
that it needs a hotter summer than our climate provides to flower
successfully. Maybe your experience is different.

It was certainly slow to start (17 years!) but I grew it from seed,
it is hardy enough to go through the winter outside but unless the
top growth survives and it stays evergreen it certainly wont flower
and yes it does seem to need some heat, having said that mine
flowered better this year than last (may time) and spring this year
was a lot colder/slower than last year.

Ah, maybe that's it - mine is a mere stripling at only 13 years from seed!
And the only heat I give it in winter is to just keep the frost off (1 -
2°C). It does stay evergreen, though, even the one outside.

--
Jeff
(cut "thetape" to reply)