Old 27-06-2008, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default billit

On 27/6/08 18:48, in article , "Billit"
wrote:

I have asked about this shrub before and had no success but I have now
been told it has got the name THE HANDKERCHIEF TREE but I still do not
know whether this is correct as anyone out there ever heard of this
name. obviously this is not the correct name but I think may be it gets
the name because the flower when fully open looks like a delicate
handkerchief.

That's the English nickname for Davidia involucrata. Other countries might
use a similar name for a different tree which is why having the Latin name
ensures accuracy - it's as if we're all speaking the same language in this
one respect! Here's a link to a pic of D. involucrata
http://www.themagnolias.co.uk/images...nvolucrata.jpg

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com