Old 28-06-2008, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default weird growth on tomatoes and potatoes etc.

In article ,
says...
CONTAMINATED MANURE

A friend has a superb garden in Wendover which had a visit by my Garden
Club last week. In touring the garden we were asked if we knew what was
wrong with Sarah's tomatoes in her greenhouse.
All the ends of the leaves were curled and stunted in a really weird
way. Growth was sparse although the crops were all fruiting, if not
actually burgeoning with tomatoes.

One of our members remarked that they had the same problem on their
allotment and so did another gardener, also affecting potatoes.

Since then we have had discussions with the RHS and also been pointed to
a link on the web
http://www.glallotments.btik.com/p_C...ed_Manure.ikml

it seems that there is serious concern and serious damage this year from
crops being mulched with certain types of manure. From animals fed on
grassland that has had hormone type wed killers applied.

I do have the RHS answer on two .doc files, (2 pages of a4 if anyone is
interested in the actual details.)

The effect is really serious and i don't know what other crops will be
affected nor if it will affect other gardeners so do beware!!

Janet

Mine look like that and have had no manure or weedkiller near them, I
thought it was just the cold!!
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk