Old 28-06-2008, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default weird growth on tomatoes and potatoes etc.

On 27/6/08 21:15, in article
, "Paul Luton"
wrote:

Janet Tweedy wrote:
CONTAMINATED MANURE

A friend has a superb garden in Wendover which had a visit by my Garden
Club last week. In touring the garden we were asked if we knew what was
wrong with Sarah's tomatoes in her greenhouse.
All the ends of the leaves were curled and stunted in a really weird
way. Growth was sparse although the crops were all fruiting, if not
actually burgeoning with tomatoes.

it seems that there is serious concern and serious damage this year from
crops being mulched with certain types of manure. From animals fed on
grassland that has had hormone type wed killers applied.

Ha - I have been wondering about the tomatoes in my greenhouse enriched
with a bag or two of "Country Nature composted stable manure" which
developed fern like foliage. Also my maincrop potatoes which had the
manure are looking much less vigorous than the early ones which didn't.

Thanks for the warning.

Paul

All I can think of is "if that's what it's doing to plants, what is it doing
to animals?" ;-((

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com