Old 28-06-2008, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Watercress

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On Jun 25, 3:57 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Judith in France" wrote in

On Jun 23, 10:49 pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:27:33 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Jun 23, 8:30 pm, K wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

In message , Pam Moore
writes
Is it possible to grow watercress without running water? Has
anyone
tried, and if so how can it be done? Pieces of bought watercress
will
root in water, but is there a way of growing them on? I often
end
up
wasting the last of a packet.

If I'm not mistaking some other white-flowered crucifer for
water-cress, then some of the localities that I've seen it growing
wild
are standing water rather than running water.

It's not the watercress that is fussy about the water.

It is an intermediate host for liverfluke, and it's thought that it
is
less likely to be infected in running water than in still water.

Watercress is a useful way of decreasing the nitrogen level (and
hence
blanket weed) in garden ponds - chuck a handful in, wait for it to
grow
massivley, then heave most of it out and compost it. Repeat.
--
Kay

My Edward, not your's Kay, is always on about liverfluke and
watercress and he won't eat it!!!! I do and my liver is fine.

Maybe your Edward read a long Guardian article about liver fluke &
water
cress
long ago. I didn't know anybody who read it at the time who ever ate
watercress
again.
--

Martin

Edward is not a Guardian reader, he always read the Times until he got
a bit fed up with the politics and now, when in England, the
Independent and here, he reads a French Newspaper.

If I remember correctly it was something to do with some research that
was being done at IFR that disturbed him and he felt that buying water
cress was unsafe as he didn't know the origin. I presume he would be
quite happy to grow it himself provided there was continually running
water.

Judith

The link with liver fluke was known a very long time ago, I was taught it
in
my first year of biology when I was eleven. That's a very long time ago
:-)

Mary

I cannot remember biology Mary, probably because I wasn't paying
attention as usual :-)

Didn't really do me any good, didn't really do you any harm :-)

Mary

Judith