Old 29-06-2008, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Trees and common problems

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 07:18:03 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

Since I finished the house shortly afterwards, found my well water was
high
in hydrogen sulfide gas. (not sulfide solids). The fix was an aeration
bottle. The bottle flushes every night to a french drain not far and
uphill
from this group of trees. About 30 gallons per flush. Apparently, the
group of oaks is getting some of this water by appearances.

I don't know what the vast majority of live oaks in the hill country use
for
soil as its mostly fractured limestone and caliche at or near the surface.

Climatology seems to be indicating the west Texas desert may be moving
east.
I live in west Hays county.

I could be wrong, but it seems the jet stream is moving north,
disalowing (is that a word?) the Gulf stream to have proper conditions
to form storm clouds. I would say this is a sign of global warming,
but I am not sure of that. Not because I don't believe in global
warming, rather it's my lack of knowledge on the subject. I very much
believe in global warming.

Trees in the Hill Country depend on underground seeps. There seems to
be many of them all around. Live Oaks also are native to the area and
how they survive the caliche is that they've adapted to very high pH
levels with few elements in th top horizon. Sometimes if you dig
deeper into the caliche there will be a sub-soil layer which will have
clay and retention of both water and elements to nourish the trees.

Believe its "disallowing".

The TV weatherman uses the term "dry line", not as a form of topography,
rather, the area of air encountered by a cool/cold front lacking any
appreciable moisture.

From what I gather, on the western side of the U.S., the jet stream has
moved north. The jet stream influences creation of upper level high
pressure systems. These, in turn, affect surface level weather. The
blocking high pressure system I was talking about and preventing rain in my
area, was for the May/early June time period. Generally, that period in
late spring is when most of the local rain occurs. The last occurrence
caused a rain system to split in 2, one went due south, and the other east.
The southbound was influenced directly by the western high pressure system
wind flow, the easternbound was its original direction of travel.
--
Dave

We have a right to choose.
Choices have consequences,