Old 30-06-2008, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Cucumbers

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,

*snip*

I cheat. I prefer Kosher dills for flavor.
I go to the store, buy my favorite brand (either Clausen's or Vlasic),
eat the pickles and save the brine.

I then place whatever I want to pickle in that brine in the 'frige and
let it go for a couple of weeks. When mom was on her last legs and
unable to do much for herself, I used to pickle fresh okra pods that way
for her. She loved them. :-) I have pickled eggs and fresh cucumbers
this same way and it works very, very well. I can generally get 3 uses
out of the brine for veggies and 2 uses when I do eggs. I also add some
beet juice to the egg brine to dye them that wonderful pink color...

Cool idea, Om! I'd have never thought of that!
Thanks!
~Rae

Cheers! :-)
--
Peace! Om

until they put their foot down." -- Stephan Rothstein