Old 30-06-2008, 08:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default Growing medicinal foods (was All my edible's are dying)

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Garlic is useful for female yeast infections as well.

I hear cranberry juice (not punch) is best.
ŕ ta santé

No, that's for urinary tract infections, not yeast infections...

I add cranberry juice to cocktails just because I like it. :-)

Yogurt and vinegar douche is the old remedy for Yeast, but garlic works
better. I've not been bothered by it for awhile but last time I did,
pigging out on garlic actually worked. I also recommended it to my best
friend last time she had a problem with it and donated 10 heads of
garlic to the cause. Fortunately, she _likes_ garlic! It worked for her
as well.

Eaten in recipes, NOT made into a douche.

Pardon for the semi-off-topic post, but one can grow garlic too. g
Like other foods, it's very medicinal.

Medicinal garden foods might make an interesting thread...
I have trouble growing garlic. I'm probably not doing it right.
Never been able to get it to "clove" for me, but onions did ok. They
seem to like sandier soil. But, with the cost of water here, it's
cheaper for me anymore to purchase most veggies instead of trying to
grow them. :-(

Hey Om -- go look at: http://www.filareefarm.com/

Since you're down there in hot, old Texas, you need to grow garlic
varieties that will thrive in your climate. The Filaree website explains
the different types of garlic and which ones do well down south.

There's at least one big, commercial seed garlic seller in Texas. You
can probably find them on google.

Jan

Why thanks! :-)

I was just trying to grow what I bought at the grocery store. I remove
the outer covering from a head of garlic and set it in water until it
starts to sprout, then separate the cloves and plant them. I always end
up with a mild, onion-looking thing at the base...

And they never bloom.

I have a stand of wild onions and a HUGE patch of garlic chives that
re-plant themselves every year! They do well.

First off, quit stripping the paper cover and pre-sprouting them. Just
plant the individual bulbs. Don't break the clove up into bulbs until
you're ready to plant. Use lots of compost. You're in Texas, so you're
up to your eyeballs in bullshit down there -- shouldn't be hard to find
some good composted cow manure. *smile*

Okay, now go read the stuff on Filaree, figure out which "types" will
thrive in your climate, then go hit the Seed Savers site and see if they
sell what you want. They're way cheaper than Filaree. (Not to diss
Filaree, but in this economy, we have to be frugal if we aren't rich.)
Seed Savers won't tell you if they're hardnecks, softnecks, etc., so get
variety names from Filaree and look for them by name at Seed Savers.

Shipping from Filaree to you guys down there in the small states may be
cheap(er). It's expensive as hell to get them to ship to me in Alaska,
but I've done it and their stock is first rate.

Some types of garlic store well (mostly the softnecks that will grow
well down south) and some won't. Some are great for braiding into those
picturesque garlic braids, which sell like crazy for lots of money at
Farmers Markets, if you're so inclined.

Different garlic varieties are like different wine varieties. Figure out
which you like. Some are HOT. Some are mild with a long aftertaste. Some
are great for roasting. You'll crack up when you read a real garlic
nut's descriptions of the flavors.

Long live the stinking rose : )

Jan

PS: If you eat a lot of garlic all winter long, you won't get sick,
because people with germs/colds/the flu won't get close enough to breath
on you and share their germs. Works for me!