Old 30-06-2008, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Growing medicinal foods

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

I knew about garlic for B.P.

B.P.???

Blood pressure.

Ah! Sorry. :-)
Garlic is food for health in general.

but not yeast infections. Odd though, I
would have thought that garlic and fungi would have gotten along, they
do in my kitchen )

Heh! I refrigerate garlic in a basket in the 'frige. Onions are stored
in a basket at room temp. Baskets are really good to keep stored veggies
dry and slows mold growth.

We keep both in baskets and I have started planting those that sprout.

IOW, you don't use it up that quickly either. g
It's not expensive, I just prefer to use granulated garlic for most
stuff. It agrees with me better.

Garlic will sprout in the 'frige too if left too long.

The lettuce garden has almost recovered from the raccoon who foraged in
the mulch. I transplanted four valerians from their germination trays to
larger pots. The potted passion fruit is four feet high and is starting
to climb an oak tree. Tomorrow I'll transplant the skullcap baikal.

Neat! I have a passion vine too that is recovering from underwatering,
and the Purple Cone Flower (Echinacea) has re-seeded itself now for 4
years in a row. Have not tried growing Valerian. I use the caps for a
sleep aid sometimes.

I'd like to try growing hops one of these years, but do not know the
requirement.

I also have a dead mimosa tree out front and am considering leaving the
dead trunk in place and just removing the top, then "seeding" it with
some kind of mushroom mycelia. Shitake would be my preference, but
that's supposed to do best in Oak and I don't have any dead oak trees.
I may just do Pearl Oyster since that's supposed to be one of the
easiest to grow. I've managed to get it to fruit once in an unbleached
toilet paper roll after innoculating the middle of the roll with some
finely chopped stems. :-)

I should probably e-mail

fungi perfecti --- http://www.fungi.com/ I didn't know about them,
thanks.
for advice. Turkey Tail mushroom
is supposed to have anti-viral and anti-cancer properties made into a
tea.

I thought you were a Kombucha fan. Still looking? What is your take on
the effectiveness of Kombucha?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Bars