Old 30-06-2008, 04:36 PM posted to austin.gardening
ArcherB[_2_] ArcherB[_2_] is offline

Default Composting

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:06:56 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

"ArcherB" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 20:57:20 -0500, cat daddy wrote:

"ArcherB" wrote in message
news

Which brings up a question I had. I was going to use "The
Greensheet" as a weed-stop mechanism, but read that some papers use
lead in their ink. How are we to know which use lead ink and which
ones don't?

http://ohioline.osu.edu/cd-fact/0122.html
"Lead was banned as an ingredient in ink by the EPA in 1985 and is,
therefore, no longer a threat."

"Ingestion of inks used on newsprint has not been an issue because
the
ingredients used in the inks are not considered toxic in either the
liquid or dry state."

First, thank you very much for your reply. While it was very helpful,
it still leaves some doubts in my mind.

I read that article and saw this:
These trials and ink references are for the black inks used in
newsprint. The trials do not include the waxed or glossy inserts or
supplements that accompany newspapers, nor does it include colored inks
used on those publications.

The "GreenSheet" uses mostly green ink (thus the name:-) which was not
tested here. Searching their website only gave me information how to
buy and sell stuff, which I already know how to do (which is why I have
so many greensheets laying around). Rather than recycling them and
paying for some other method of weed control, I thought I'd eliminate
the middleman and recycle them myself.

What I'm worried about is lead or some other dangerous materials making
their way up the root system and into the tomatoes that I am going to
be feeding my family. If it were just me, I wouldn't care, but I have
a little girl to look after and want my home-grown produce to be as
safe and healthy as possible.

Maybe you can call them and ask if their green ink is soy-based.

I sent them an email from their "feedback" section and asked them. I
would hope that any periodical named the GREENsheet would not use toxic
chemicals in their printing process.

I'll post the reply here when I receive it.

Thanx again.