Old 01-07-2008, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default black raspberry?

In message , Stephen
writes
On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:48:19 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

That means that if it was a blackcurrant, the error is on the label,
rather in your recollection. Did it also say black raspberry? If so, it
looks like a technically incorrect botanical name is being used.

Perhaps I should have mentioned it earlier, but Ribes has palmately
lobed leaves, and Rubus palmate (compound) leaves, so you could tell
which genus is was from examination of the foliage.

The photo on the label is of a black raspberry or blackberry, not a
blackcurrant. I shall look at the leaves next time I shop.

I think that if the photograph on the label is of the fruit of a Rubus
we can assume that it is a Rubus. So we're back where we were several
posts back; they are several black raspberries, but we can't tell which
is meant.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley