Old 01-07-2008, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default Gooseberry vs caterpillars

"K" wrote in message
Mary Fisher writes

I hate using any pesticide but desperate conditions demand desperate
solutions. The sawfly will also attack other plants, Solomon's Seal and
some
ribes.

Is the Solomon's Seal sawfly the same as the gooseberry sawfly? I thought
they were different species?

So did I, all I can say is that they look exactly alike and it was only when
we first saw it on the SS that we also had it on gooseberry. That was many
years ago and they always co-incide even now.

Of course it could be pure co-incidence - the same conditions being right
for both :-)

But I'm not taking any chances.

Mary