Old 02-07-2008, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default beware parsnips

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Kate Morgan" contains these words:

My daughter let some of her last years parsnips go to seed and they were
in
her opinion very attractive plants. Yesterday she decided she needed the
room and so pulled them up. A passer by told her that in that state they
were very dangerous and could cause health problems, She donned gloves
and
continued to remove the plants, she left them on the ground and intends
burn them. She did however feel unwell last night so is it true. ?
Another
parsnip fact she was told is that the long root of the parsnip should
not be
eaten because that is toxic too.

You should always peel parsnips because the skin is toxic - at least to
insects. Whether it is to us, I've no idea.

I've not heard that parsnips can be dangerous otherwise, and I'm sure it
would be common knowledge if it were so.

I've made wine by boiling up unpeeled parsnips - and very good it was too!
Not only did I enjoy the wine, I froze the resulting parsnips (you just need
the water they're boiled in for parsnip wine) and ate them later. Must be 5
years ago now and I'm still up and running