Old 02-07-2008, 04:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Do you know these plants? (1/2)

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...achmentid=9611

*Not* a Penstemon, but one of those newer forms of 'lip-less'
snapdragons - Antirrhinum majus hybrids. There are several doing the
rounds this year and depending upon source, the name seems to vary.
'Bouquet', 'La Bella', 'Bells' all produce these open trumpet
flowers. The name of the one in the pic escapes me for the moment,
but it is one of a series recently introduced and has been offered by
the larger gardens centres and DIY sheds over the past couple of
years. Not that nice IMO - the lips are part of the charm getting rid
of them takes the 'snap' from the 'dragon'. As a kid I used to be
fascinated watching bumble bees struggle to get in past the lip for a
sip of nectar, and then have an even greater struggle getting out.

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attach...achmentid=9614

One of the Lantana camara group. It could be a named variant, but
almost any batch of seed with produce very similar. A noxious weed in
warmer countries, it is intolerant of our wet, cool/cold winters and
is only used for summer bedding-out in the UK. The near prostrate L.
montevidensis with its smaller heads of lilac mauve is moderately
hardy in the far south.