Old 02-07-2008, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default beware parsnips

The message
from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:
"Broadback" wrote in message

We are another family that never peel, only scrub parsnips, the taste is
far superior. We seem fit and well, though sadly only three of mine
germinated this year so will be a famine this Winter! :-(

I'm not good at growing parsnips, which is a great pity because nothing you
can buy from anywhere is as good as a freshly dug parsnip from your own
garden.

That applies to most home grown fruit and vegetables of course but somehow
parsnips beat everything else.

I concur.

When I was very small (I'm told) parsnip was my favourite vegetable. I
went off them in my teens, but rediscovered the delights of roast
parsnips (peeled!) round the Sunday joint.

À propos de rien, when I was four I was at boarding school in Seaford,
while my stepfather-to-be was OIC an anti-aircraft battery at Newhaven.
One weekend my mother took me (on foot) to the battery, and on the way,
we happened upon a piece of land where tanks had been wallowing. "Is
that the Officers' Mess?" I asked.

At the battery they were firing at a drogue which was being towed a good
mile behind an aircraft (Boodly RAF - no trust!) and when they'd
stopped, we continued.

The Ole Man's batman (not Batman) had been warned of my visit, and had
prepared a treat - bananana sandwiches.

Here comes the on-topicality -

He'd boiled young parsnips and added sugar as he mashed them. Try it -
sweetened mashed parsnip is quite indistinguishable from banananana - if
you've never had a banananana, that is.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig