Old 02-07-2008, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default beware parsnips

The message
from Stephen Wolstenholme contains these words:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 23:17:42 +0100, Rusty Hinge 2
wrote:

You should always peel parsnips because the skin is toxic - at least to
insects. Whether it is to us, I've no idea.

I've not heard that parsnips can be dangerous otherwise, and I'm sure it
would be common knowledge if it were so.

I've eaten loads of roast parsnips that were just scrubbed rather than
peeled. The skin gets crisp and they taste better that way.

I'm still alive.

You're not an insect, and I've no idea whether the toxins in the skin
are thermolabile.

Besides, you may be alive, but can you guarantee that your quality of
life and your life-expectancy is at the same level (or better) than
before you took to eating scrubbers - er - roast scrubbed parsnips?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig