Old 02-07-2008, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jo Green Jo Green is offline

Default Where are my strawberries?

On Jun 28, 2:24*pm, General Schvantzkopf
wrote:
I have a couple of dozen strawberry plants but no strawberries. I assume
that something is eating them before they have a chance to develop, but
what? Also I've only seen the starts of a few berries so maybe my plants
aren't producing at all. The plants look healthy, they just don't have any
berries.

I have a fence around my gardens and bird netting across the top but it's
not bird tight, they could walk in if they had a mind to.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I live in Massachusetts.

Hi,

I have had the same experience with my strawberry garden. After many
hours of observance and much to my surprise, I one day found a
chipmunk running across the lawn with a strawberry in his mouth. He
proceeded to sit within view of where I was and eat the strawberry in
front of me. Not long after I witnessed a squirrel doing the same
thing.

When your strawberries disappear you immediately think insects or
birds. My strawberry garden is also fenced in and netted and somehow
the chipmunks and squirrels find a way in to access the
strawberries.

Netting with finer and smaller openings will help this problem.
Surrounding the garden with plants that chipmunks and squirrels do not
like such as natural insect repellant plants helps. These are both
good remedies but the reality is you will never totally protect your
strawberry garden from these crafty creatures.