Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default beware parsnips

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 writes:

| I think we've had a similar conversation before...

We have.

| I asked Kew, and they had no knowledge of any toxic issues.

That must have been a while back, unless you know someone there, as
their new policy is that they don't talk to amateur botanists.

| I have though, spoken to many people, most of whom haven't any idea that
| there *IS* something called 'black nightshade' and all too many of them
| think woody nightshade is deadly nightshade.
|
| There is a comprehensive ignorance in the minds of even countryfolk. I
| wouldn't mind betting that if you showed a number of them a black
| nightshade plant, the majority would say it was deadly nightshade.

That is why I looked at the scientific papers. What is clear is
that it is quite safe under some conditions, and unsafe under others,
and there is no consensus on what those conditions are!

The main difference between it and common staples is that we tend
to know the conditions under which the latter can be eaten safely.

| There are natural acids in fruit, and the citric acid is added to set
| the sugar without too much effort. Some jams (and marmalades) are so
| hard that when you mine a lump from the jar and try to spread it on a
| slice, the progress of the jam heaps-up a pile of butter before it.

Some of them. There isn't much in strawberry or quince. Seriously
acid and pectin-rich fruits (like japonica) produce a jam like that
with little effort :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.