Old 02-07-2008, 11:58 PM posted to aus.gardens
Ed Ed is offline

Default Avocado question

"Anne Chambers" wrote in message
Bill wrote:
In article ,
Anne Chambers wrote:

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/avocado.html

Thanks, Bill - I did see that ....but how do I know when 8% oil content is
reached ? I don't know if I have a Mexican type, a Guatemalan type or if
it's a purple cultivar. I was really hoping someone growing avocados in a
similar climate in Australia would be able to help.

My avocado experience was also frustrating, have a Reed avo. and it had
its 1st crop at the beginning of the year, we are in Melbourne, it produced
8 fruits round Dec. and they stayed tiny for ages, just didn't know when to
pick them, I left them on the tree all thru autumn, the problem was they
reached a certain size and didn't get any bigger, finally as winter was
close I decided to pick them small as they were, they stayed hard for weeks,
finally going a bit soft but not really in a proper way, I've been on the
net but can't find any info that is specific to how long they should stay on
the tree in our climate, why they didn't get to proper size for this
variety.