Old 03-07-2008, 02:22 PM
old perennial old perennial is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin[_2_] View Post
My lawn has a lot of moss in it so I thought it would be a good idea to have
a go at raking it out. However, I had forgotten what hard work it is with a
grass rake! I was sweating cobs tonight and only did a small part of the
lawn - and then the heavens opened and rescued me :-)

I was wondering if an implement such as the one here

http://www.gardenandleisure.com/products/wsands15.html

would do the trick? Has anyone used something like this? How effective are
they - and more to the point how much less effort are they than a hand rake?
If your going to the trouble of scarifying your lawn then you may as well go the whole hog and aeriate it too. After spikeing, top dress with a mixture of peat, JInumber 1 and river sand and brush it into the holes. This will improve drain drainage and get some air to the roots which will in turn discourage moss growth. Through the growing period foliar feed the lawn with something like Lawn Magic which is a liquid feed and can be applied by lawn feeder attched to a hosepipe. see www.superspray.co.uk