Old 03-07-2008, 11:24 AM posted to sci.agriculture.fruit,rec.gardens.edible,rec.crafts.winemaking
jim c jim c is offline

Default Furmint Grape Vines Sought

On Jul 3, 2:43*am, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*"Pavel314" wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"Pavel314" wrote:

I've been googling to find a location that sells furmint grape vines
without
any success. If anyone knows of a vendor, please post.

Thanks,

Paul

http://www.viticlonesupplies.com/id20.htm

Don't get excited, it looks like you'll be put on a waiting list.

You might give the University of California at Davis' viticulture
department a jingle. They might have a line on it (more likely someone
who could or has imported it).

If you're planning on making a Tokaj style wine, you had best learn
about botrytis cinerea, the mold that can turn a crop of white grapes
into gold or garbage. It is botrytis cinerea (a.k.a. bunch rot) that is
responsible for Sauternes, trokenbeerenausleses, and Tokaj.

Thanks, Billy, I wrote to them both. What I want to make is shipon, a
Slovenian white wine made from furmint grapes. (In Slovenian, the "sh" sound
is indicated by an "s" with an inverted chevron on top, but I don't have
that letter available in my email fonts.) Anyway, it used to *be available
everywhere in Cleveland in the 1960's and 1970's but just isn't imported
anymore, so I thought I'd grow my own.

Paul

Does it have a varietal flavor or is it the structure (fruitiness, mouth
feel, tannins, ect.) of the wine that you like? If it was cheap, it will
have been tank fermented (either a lined concret tank or stainless). If
the weather is anything like Germany, the wines may be 6% to 11%
alcohol. I consider that consumer friendly. What did the one you have
taste like?
--

Billy
Bush and Pelosi Behind Barshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVTfcAyYGg&ref=patrick.nethttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aEo59c7zU&feature=related

Hi, I went to the KZ Goriska Brda - Dobrovo winery in Slovenia (which
is on the border with northern Italy) a couple of years ago as part of
my honeymoon ^_^. The climate is very close to that of mid northern
Italy.

I didn't try wine from the varietal you mention unfortunately, but
tried many wines from their range. I think they are the biggest
cellar or even producer in the country and used giant stainless steel
tanks first. Subsequently they ferment in Oak barrels for the
european market and in steel tanks with oak chippings for the US
market. The guide told me that the American market seems to prefer
the taste that way.

I know none of this helps the OP much, but I thought I'd chip in

Jim